Knowing how to size catcher's leg guards is a definite plus if you want to be comfortable and successful at the position. Sizing leg guards for a catcher is an easy task, no doubt. However, many players do not take into consideration the importance of proper sizing when they purchase their leg guards. The proper sizing will maintain important protection for the catcher's ankles, shins and knees, which are important parts of your body that you will abuse and need to maintain your presence on the field. Consider these steps when sizing catcher's leg guards:
- You will want to start at a sporting goods store. If necessary, find a sales associate to direct you to the baseball catcher’s area. Catcher's leg guards are generally listed generically in their sizing. Eyeball a pair that look reasonable to your size.
- Choose several leg guard styles and manufacturers. Hold the leg guards to your shin, place the kneecap over your knee, then check the length.
- The ankle guard should rest over the tongue of your shoe. If this is not the case, adjust accordingly. Once you find the size that covers both areas, you will need to check the fit around your lower leg.
- Catcher's leg guards are fitted with adjustable straps that connect the leg guards to the lower leg. Adjust the straps to allow for a tight fit (not so tight as to be uncomfortable). Once strapped, check again to ensure the knee and the ankle are covered.
- Get into your normal catcher’s position. The ankle guard should bend and remain over the ankle and down the front of the shoe. The kneecap guard should cover the bent knee without any discomfort.
- Finally, trot around the store a bit to test the feel. Your catcher's leg guards should not slip or cause you any discomfort when moving around.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.