How To Ski A Double Black Diamond
You can learn how to ski a double black diamond ski trail. Double black diamonds are used to mark the most difficult ski trails and terrain. These trails are recommended only for the most advanced skiers. There are however, several things you can do that will help you to successfully navigate a double black diamond ski run.
To ski a double black diamond, you will need:
- Ski attire
- Position your upper body forward towards the bottom of the mountain. Your body's weight needs forward momentum. This is contrary to most people's natural instinct which is to pull their weight back, towards the top of the hill.
- Place your weight on the downhill ski. Your upper body including your head, shoulders, and hips should be facing downhill.
- Reach forward with your downhill hand and plant your pole in the snow.
- Use your forward momentum to ski around the planted poll. Make sure your turns are sharp and quick. Keep your body perpendicular to the slope angle of the mountain. You don't want your skis to point downhill for too long or you will gain to much speed and forward momentum.
- Repeat the process extending your opposite hand forward and turning the other direction.
- Use the moguls to your advantage. The moguls can actually help you slow down and maintain control. It is best to strategize your turns around the moguls and avoid skiing directly through them.
- Rest when you get tired. One of the most common mistakes people make is trying to rush to the bottom of the hill. When you get tired, you get lazy and this leads to mistakes.