How To Slide Tackle In Soccer
If you find yourself as the last defender in a soccer game, and the team is counting on you to get the ball away from the attacker, you will probably wish you took the time to learn how to slide tackle in soccer. A slide tackle is a defensive maneuver that should only be used when you don't have any other options. A properly performed slide tackle will separate the ball from your opponent, but a poorly performed slide tackle will either take you out of the play, or get you carded.
- Run alongside the player you want to tackle. A proper slide tackle will come from the side.
- Wait for space to open up between your opponent and the ball. You have to touch the ball first when you slide tackle, or you are going to get called for a penalty. When there is a little space between the player and the ball, your opponent can't make a last second move with the ball and cause you to miss.
- Drop to the ground, sticking your lead foot out in front of you. You want to land on your hip with your momentum still going forward.
- Curl your rear leg. This helps you control your slide tackle.
- Wrap your lead foot around the front of the ball and draw it backward. You can also kick the ball to the side to clear it, but you can just as easily draw the ball back and steal it.
- Follow through on your slide. If you timed it right you will control the ball and your opponent will fall over you. As long as your foot touched the ball before you contacted your opponent, your slide tackle was completely legal.