Whether preparing for a Little League outing or an intramural game, knowing how to soften a baseball glove is the most important part of getting ready. Even if you’ve played for years, everyone needs a fresh glove from time to time, and no one likes to play with a stiff, unused mitt. These step by step instructions will have you on the field shagging fly balls with ease in no time.
To soften a baseball glove, you will need:
- Glove oil (most companies produce their own for softening the glove)
- Petroleum jelly
- Foam shaving cream
- Saddle soap
- Once you have found the perfect-fitting glove, it’s time to soften the leather to make it comfortable and easy to use. Check the label for any recommendations on how to prep the mitt, and select the most appropriate choice.
- Rub the product around the baseball glove, paying special attention to the inside and pocket area. Be careful not to overdo it here. “Less is more” would be the appropriate approach for this.
- Place a baseball in the pocket of the glove. This will help create the most important piece of the glove by building and softening the pocket.
- Wrap a piece of string around the glove. Tie this tightly with the baseball still in the pocket.
- Allow the glove to soften for a week. Ideally, this will create a more comfortable fit and make the mitt easier to use.
- Go out and play! The best way to truly soften and break in the baseball glove is through regular use. After the first few days on the diamond, the leather should relax, and hopefully become an extension of your hand.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…