Need to know how to spot clean a wool coat? Learning to spot clean a wool coat will save you the money and the hassle of going to the dry cleaner's every time you have a spill. Wool is naturally stain-resistant, but that doesn't mean you'll never have to spot clean it. To spot clean a wool coat, you only need a few common items and a couple extra minutes, so let's get started!
To spot clean a wool coat, you'll need:
- A gentle, wool-safe detergent, white vinegar or baby shampoo
- A soft cloth
- Dampen a cloth with cool water and wring it out. Apply a few drops of detergent, baby shampoo or white vinegar to the cloth. All of these are safe for wool.
- Blot the stain or spill with the cloth. Do this gently, and don't rub the stain. Rubbing can cause superficial damage to the wool's texture, which may be difficult to restore. Allow the vinegar or detergent to penetrate the stain for a few minutes.
- Rinse the cloth with cool water. Wring it out again and blot at the stain until the spill or stain and soap residue is absorbed.
- Allow the coat to air dry. Make sure it has plenty of ventilation. If you need it to dry quickly, dab up the moisture with another dry cloth. Don't dry wool in direct sunlight as this can cause the material to fade.
Never wash wool in the washing machine, or dry it in the dryer. This will cause permanent damage and shrinkage. Only use wool-safe detergent, as other types tend to be harsh and could fade or ruin the finish of your wool coat. Never use bleach to spot clean wool.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …