How to Spot Fake Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts
Every fashion conscious individual should know how to spot fake Ralph Lauren polo shirts. Let's face it. Every well-dressed man needs some Ralph Lauren polo shirts in their closet. There's just something about the look of these shirts and how you feel wearing them ... dressed smartly for just about any occasion, except the most formal. That's probably why the shirts are so popular with wearers. Genuine Ralph Lauren polo shirts are made well, fit well, and usually last for years, keeping their shape. That's why you don't want to be messing around with knock-offs. Just not worth any savings you might get up front.
Because these polo shirts are so popular, counterfeiters are out there trying to sell you something that only looks like the real thing. Don't be fooled by these knock-offs. You'll need to be able to spot the real thing from the fakes and here are some tips to help you know the difference:
- Check out the seams. Here's a trick passed down from tailors and seamstresses. To check the quality of a garment, check the underside of it. Most items of clothing look OK on the outside, or they wouldn't be hanging on racks in clothing stores. What you don't see up-front can be the most important. So, look on the inside of the garment. Seams should be straight and neatly finished. Seam edges should be smooth, not dangling with threads.
- The thread color should match the polo shirt. If something looks a little off about the thread, it's probably not the real thing. Look for thread that doesn't quite match the shirt. Loose threads anywhere is a dead giveaway.
- Check out the buttonholes. The buttons and buttonholes are neatly and carefully done on genuine Ralph Lauren polo shirts. If buttonholes look a little "rough", you are probably looking at a fake.
- Feel the fabric. Ralph Lauren shirts are made from 100% cotton. Country of origin may change, so that's not a reliable indicator of authenticity. But when you feel the fabric it should feel soft but substantial, not flimsy.
- Place of purchase. You saw a great deal at a flea market ... skip these. Genuine Ralph Lauren shirts are sold in reputable department stores and on the Ralph Lauren website. But they have Ralph Lauren labels in them! Don't be fooled. Labels are probably the easiest and cheapest things to duplicate. How much do the shirts cost? While not much more expensive than other fine quality shirts, no one is giving away genuine Ralph Lauren shirts, either. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
To sum up, if any part of your new shirt looks "sloppy", well, you've been suckered. Shop only at reputable stores to make sure you're getting the real thing.