Need to know how to spot hot tub rashes? Spotting a hot tub rash can be tricky. These rashes often look similar to many other skin irritations and are frequently misdiagnosed as eczema, poison ivy or another type of allergic reaction. Hot tub rashes are caused by the bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa, common in hot tubs that are not well maintained. While hot tub rashes typically clear up on their own within a few days, it is reassuring to be able to identify the cause of the skin irritation.
- Note the appearance of the rash. Hot tub rashes generally look like small red or pink bumps on the skin. The bumps can look like a solid, bumpy red rash or individual red spots depending on the severity.
- Check for blisters on the skin. Hot tub rashes can cause puss-filled blisters. These often appear around hair follicles and ooze when broken. When a hot tub rash primarily irritates the hair follicles, it is also called hot tub folliculitis.
- Check for itching. The area covered by the hot tub rash is usually extremely itchy. Itching the rash often only makes it worse and can cause increased oozing from the blisters.
- Note the location of the rash. Hot tub rashes can appear all over the body, but they are generally worse in the areas that were covered by a swimsuit during the time spent in the hot tub.
- Keep track of the time. Hot tub rashes can show up anywhere from a few hours to a few days after exposure to the bacteria. While these rashes are most common in hot tubs and spas, the rash can also be contracted from a swimming pool, water park or lake.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …