How To Stand Up Paddle
Learning to stand up paddle is not very difficult. In fact, if you have ever paddled a canoe, you are half way to learning how to stand up paddle on a surfboard. You do not need to live by the ocean to learn, because you do not need any waves; even a pool can be used for practice. Stand up paddling was the original way that surf boards were used and this traditional surfing style is coming back. Start practicing how to stand up paddle now and be ready for next summer.
To learn how to stand up paddle, you will need:
- A standup paddle surfboard. You can use a regular surfboard, but it will be make it more difficult to learn)
- A paddle designed for stand up paddling
- Water to practice on
- Use a dock, a boat or a side of the pool to help you get on your stand up paddle board. Getting on the board is often the most difficult part. It will be much easier if you have a friend on dry land that can help you onto the board. It is also a good idea to leave your paddle on dry land until you are secure on the board.
- Get balanced on the board. Stand with your feet facing forward in the middle of the board. Most paddle boards are marked with grip tape or padding where you should stand Face forward with your weight evenly distributed. If you find that it is too difficult to stand on the board, you can always kneel at first.
- Use your paddle to move forward. This is like paddling a canoe. Remember to use long even strokes and do not lean too far to one side while you paddle.
- Learn to turn your paddle board. You can easily turn a paddle board by paddle on one side. If you want to turn more quickly, step towards the back of the board. The front will come out of the water. Now just paddle on the opposite side and you should turn much quicker. This is because with the front out of the water, there is less to turn.
- Always maintain your safety when you learn to stand up paddle. Wear a life jacket. Do not attempt to paddle into dangerous situations and get some lessons from a certified instructor after you learn the basics.