How To Start A 2009 Harley Sportster
Learning how to start a 2009 Harley Sportster is important if you own one of these motorcycles. Starting a motorcycle can be tough if you haven't ridden in a while or if the weather is cold. Follow these steps for exactly how to start a 2009 Harley Sportster.
To start a 2009 Harley Sportster, you will need:
- 2009 Harley Sportster ignition key
- Put the key in the ignition of the 2009 Harley Sportster and turn the motorcycle to the "on" position. Pull the choke knob to activate the choke.
- Open the gas tank and ensure there is fuel in the tank. If not, you will need to add fuel before you start your Harley Sportster.
Ensure the fuel line is set to "on." The switch is located on the engine.
Sit on the motorcycle and put it in "Neutral" by pulling the clutch and pressing down on the gear shifter (this will put in first gear). Pull up once on the shifter to put the transmission in neutral. Note that there will also be a green neutral signal light on the instrument cluster.
- Press the "engine start" button on the right handlebar. Hold the button for no more than two seconds or you will flood the engine.
- Allow the engine to run for approximately five minutes. Push the choke knob in, deactivating it.
If this still doesn't work, consider spraying some starter fluid into the intake manifold on the engine. In combination with the choke, it is sure to get a cold engine started.