First time riders have to know how to start a motorcycle. Most motorcycles are started in one of two ways. There are electric start motorcycles and kick start motorcycles. Electric start motorcycles are the majority of motorcycles that are seen on the road. Read on for all you need to know to start a motorcycle.
- Put the key in the motorcycle. Turn the key to the on position, which also allows the front wheel to be unlocked.
- Shift the gears into neutral. It's safer to start a motorcycle out of gear.
- For manual choke engines, pull the choke out if the engine is cold. Even if you are starting the engine in the summer it will usually require some choke when you first start a motorcycle for the day.
- Turn the engine switch on. This is the master kill switch for the engine and the same switch used to turn off the motorcycle.
- Press the starter button. This engages the starter motor which turns the motorcycle engine over to start a motorcycle. Release the starter button after the engine starts.
- For manual choke engines, let the engine idle for around 20-30 seconds and then push the choke in some, eventually working to having the choke fully off. Don't run with the choke full on for very long as it can cause engine damage. With experience you will get a feel for working the choke.
Motorcycles usually have safety switches so that if the kick stand is down, the motorcycle can't be started if it's in gear. As a precaution, it's also a good idea to pull the clutch in while you start a motorcycle.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.