How To Start A Weight Loss Eating Program
When you are learning how to start a weight loss eating program, you can be your own worst enemy. Eating inappropriate foods and deviating from your program can hinder your weight loss efforts. When you start your weight loss eating program, remember that you should try to lose 1 to 2 pounds weekly. Losing more than this means you are likely losing water weight and possibly lean muscle. With a little planning, however, you can maximize your chance of success.
- Clean out your kitchen. Having unhealthy snacks in your kitchen can cause you to fall off the weight loss wagon. Throw away all of the unhealthy foods in the kitchen or give them away.
- Stock up on healthy foods. Whole grain bread, cereal and pastas, lean meats, fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, and low fat dairy products are the backbone of a healthy diet.
- Grab some healthy snacks. Packets of snack foods that are rationed out to 100 calories are a good option. Nuts, string cheese, peanut butter and low fat yogurt are other options.
- Plan your daily menu. Just eating willy-nilly throughout the day can lead to overeating or under eating—both of which can affect your weight loss program. To combat this, use a checklist for each of the food groups to ensure you get the required number of servings per group. Plan to eat three large meals and one snack daily. Alternatively, you can eat small meals throughout the day every two to three hours.
- Eat breakfast daily. If you eat breakfast, you are less likely to over eat during the day, states the Mayo Clinic. Eating breakfast will also provide you with a metabolism boost to help you burn more calories during the day. This metabolism boost also gives you more energy.
- Stay hydrated. It is possible to think you are hungry when you are actually thirsty. Staying hydrated by drinking water, all natural fruit juice and zero calorie beverages will minimize the risk of you eating when you are actually thirsty.