Learning how to stop diarrhea is very important, as anyone who has had it will tell you. Bacteria, viruses and food poisoning are the main diarrhea-causing culprits. A bout of diarrhea is your body's way of getting rid of infection and poisons, so it’s best to just let it happen if you can stay home near the bathroom. For most of us, that’s not possible, so here are some ways to help stop it.
To stop diarrhea, you will need:
- Your choice of an over-the-counter medication
- Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea and yogurt
- Mallow and/or ginger tea
- Activated charcoal capsules
- Drug store remedies. Medications such as Imodium, Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate are all great over-the-counter options when you need to stop diarrhea. Take medication as instructed on the package.
- The BRAT Diet. Your mother may know about something called the BRAT Diet–a diet especially followed to help stop diarrhea. BRAT is an acronym that spells out bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Then there’s the BRATTY Diet, which spells out bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea and yogurt. This diet is easy on the digestive system and will quickly put and end to diarrhea when strictly adhered.
- Stay hydrated. Always drink plenty of liquids when you have diarrhea. If you don’t you may become dehydrated and you will have a doctor's bill to contend with. If you begin to feel dehydrated or weak, make a mixture of sugar and salt water. The ratio is two teaspoons of sugar to one teaspoon of salt mixed into a cup of water. This mixture works in the same way as Pedialyte to restore electrolytes. Children and elderly people run a much higher risk of dehydration.
Drink tea. Mallow tea (or Marshmallow tea) is great for irritated bowels. You can buy mallow tea at the health food store. Ginger tea acts as a pain reliever and will also stop any nausea you may experience while sick.
- Activated charcoal tablets. Activated charcoal tablets may be taken at the onset of diarrhea if you suspect food poisoning is the culprit. The charcoal will actually absorb the toxin and carry it out of your body.
- Watch out for dairy. The only dairy product allowed while you are trying to stop diarrhea is yogurt. Yogurt contains acidophilus, which replenishes the good bacteria in your colon that has been lost during diarrhea. Make sure the yogurt you buy contains "active yogurt cultures."
Tips & Warnings:
- Diarrhea is something everyone experiences and it should run its course and clear up on its own. If you notice bloody diarrhea or if symptoms lasts more than a few days, visit your doctor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...