Gum pain is annoying, relentless and not to be ignored, that's why it's important to know how to stop gum pain when it happens. There are many causes of gum pain that range from minor irritations to severe dental emergencies. Gum pain is usually associated with periodontal disease and can be a sign of underlying health related issues such as Diabetes. Receding gums, gingivitis, tooth or gum abscess or severe tooth decay are all possible causes of gum pain and a dentist should be seen before symptoms increase or worse, teeth are lost. Whatever the cause, you'll want to stop the pain or at least temper it as best you can until you are able to seek the care that you need.
- Use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. If the source of your gum pain seems to come from hot, cold or sweet foods then using a sensitivity toothpaste can help to minimize or stop gum pain for a while.
- Don't brush too hard. Incorrect or aggressive brushing of the teeth may cause sensitivity or irritation. Try using soft circular strokes when brushing your teeth to stop gum pain.
- Switch your toothbrush. Toss out your old toothbrush if it has hard or medium bristles. Instead buy a soft toothbrush that will be more gentle on painful gum tissue.
- Stop whitening your teeth. At home teeth whiteners are harsh on the gums and may cause gum pain. Discontinue their use until you see a dentist.
- Rinse with warm salt water. Use 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water to sooth and calm down pain and any associated inflammation of the gums.
- Numb the pain. A sure way to stop gum pain until you can see a dentist is by using an over the counter oral anesthetic containing benzocaine such as Orajel.
Tips and Warnings
- Gum pain is usually a sign of gum disease and should be checked by a Dentist.
- Don't rub your gums, this can often increase irritation and pain.
- Don't place aspirin directly on your gums, as this can cause a burn to sensitive gum tissue.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.