It's annoying, at times painful and more than just a little embarrassing, and all you really want to know is how to stop itchy scalp before it drives you crazy. Don't worry, you're not alone. Itchy scalp torments more people than you probably realize for many different reasons. Some of the common causes of scalp itch are dryness, contact dermatitis, eczema, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. The best way to stop an itchy scalp is to seek out the advice of your family doctor or a dermatologist, but in the meantime there are a few steps to take that can lessen or stop the itch.
What you will need to stop itchy scalp:
- A doctor or dermatologist.
- Anti dandruff shampoo.
- Make an appointment. The first thing that you should do is make an appointment to see your doctor or dermatologist. There may be a wait to get in, but a doctor is the best way to find a solution that treats the specific cause of your itching.
- Wash your hair. This isn't meant to imply that you don't already do this, but are you washing your hair and more importantly, your scalp properly? Be sure to lather and massage your scalp while washing and rinse all remnants of shampoo and conditioner thoroughly from both your hair and scalp.
- Switch shampoos. Some shampoos are just too harsh. If you've recently switched brands and your itchy scalp followed, this will be a simple fix.
- Use over the counter dandruff shampoos. Dandruff shampoos have come a long way in not only their ability to stop itchy scalp, but in how well they actually treat the hair itself. Look for shampoos that contain ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione tar or selenium oxide.
- Reduce stress levels. Increased stress or anxiety can result in excessive itching of the scalp. Finding ways to reduce or manage the amount of stress in your life can potentially lessen or stop itchy scalp.
Heaters and air conditioners can cause or exacerbate an itchy scalp problem. If at all possible avoid artificial means of extreme heat or cold.
- Improve your diet. Poor diets or lack of certain nutritional requirements may also be the cause of an itchy scalp. Reducing the amount of caffeine in your diet, drinking more water and taking vitamin supplements are a few of the things that can help to stop an itchy scalp.
- Avoid hair color and bleaches. If you have recently used any type of hair dye or bleach, you could have an allergy. If it isn't necessary then try avoiding using these types of products or perform a skin test for allergic reactions as directed by the manufacturer.
Hair Foundation:Itchy Scalp
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream