Most nosebleeds are not serious, and you can learn how to stop a nosebleed without a doctor's help. Nosebleeds often occur because of dry air, which dries out and irritates your nasal membranes. If you experience frequent nosebleeds, however, you may need to see a doctor to determine the cause of your nosebleeds and treat your symptoms to prevent future bleeding.
How to stop a nosebleed:
- Pinch your nose shut. This will put pressure on your septum (the cartilage dividing your nostrils), helping to stop the bleeding. Keep holding your nose for at least five minutes or until the nosebleed stops.
Sit up straight. Keeping your head above heart level will help slow the nosebleed.
Lean forward. If you lean back while your nose is bleeding, you may swallow or aspirate blood, leading to an upset stomach or coughing. Leaning forward will cause the blood to come out of your nostrils rather than going down your throat.
Place an ice pack over your nose and sinuses. Icing the area will help constrict the blood vessels, slowing or stopping the nosebleed.
- Wait several hours then bend over or blow your nose after the nosebleed stops. Irritating your nose can lead to another nosebleed.
- Since nosebleeds are often caused by dry air, you can help prevent nosebleeds by using a humidifier and moisturizing your nostrils with saline gel.
- If you experience frequent nosebleeds, your doctor may be able to cauterize blood vessels in your nose to prevent further bleeding.
- Call a doctor if your nose won't stop bleeding after 20 minutes or if your nose is bleeding after a head or facial injury, such as a broken nose.
- Allergies, colds and sinus infections, which cause you to blow your nose more frequently, can lead to frequent nosebleeds. Frequent nosebleeds may also be a side effect of blood thinners. However, nosebleeds may be the sign of a more serious condition, such as a a bleeding disorder or leukemia. If you experience frequent nosebleeds, see a doctor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.