If you’re a fresh ingredient nut, you’ve probably wondered how to store flour properly. Flour is one of the most common ingredients in cooking, making an appearance in everything from savory sauces to delectable desserts. Follow these steps to keep your flour dry and safe from interested critters so every dish you make will taste amazing.
- Choose the right kind of container. If you don’t protect your flour from moisture, it will find a way to get wet. Don’t just put the bag on a pantry shelf – that’s asking for trouble. Store flour in a plastic, glass or metal air-tight container. Make sure the lid fits tightly to keep out moisture and bugs.
- Choose the right size container. The container should be large enough to hold as much flour as you will use in a reasonable amount of time. Although it’s up to you to define “reasonable,” if it holds more than you’ll use in a month, get a smaller container. Also switch to a smaller size if you can’t lift it when it’s full of flour.
- Keep it cool. This holds doubly-true for whole wheat flours, which have oils that will spoil in heat. A dry, dark cupboard or pantry is the best spot to store flour.
- Freeze the extra. Since flour is almost always cheaper in bulk, 25-pound bags are an appealing bargain. Fill your container and place the rest in the freezer. It’s OK to store flour in the bag if it’s frozen, but consider moisture-proof containers, like clean 5-gallon buckets.
- For the ultimate in freshness, in the fridge. Refrigeration keeps white flour from going stale and extends the shelf-life of whole wheat flours.
- Measure dry ingredients, like flour, before wet ingredients. A little bit of moisture can spoil an entire container of flour.
Ohio State University Extension: Cupboard Storage
University of Missouri Extension: Using and Storing All-Purpose Flour
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.