If you own a PS3, you are probably wondering how to stream movies to a PS3. Streaming movies to a PS3 is a fairly straightforward process because of a PS3's networking capabilities. The easiest method of streaming movies to a PS3 is using your computer and a Local Area Netowork (LAN) to allow a PS3 to connect to your computer. Using a Media Server application on your computer, you will be able to stream media, including movies directly to a PS3 with no additional software on the PS3.
What you will need:
- CAT-5 Networking Cable or Wireless Adapter for PS3
- Streaming Media Server
- Download and Install Media Server. Download a freeware streaming media server that is compatible with a PS3 on your computer. This may take several minutes depending on the file size and your Internet connection. The media server application is required to stream movies to a PS3 from your computer.
- Install the media server. Launch the media server installation program on your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions to install and configure the server. You will need to configure the server to find your movie files that you wish to stream to a PS3.
- Connect a PS3 to your PC. Using a crossover CAT-5 cable, connect your PC to a PS3 directly. Alternatively you can connect both a PS3 and a PC to your router. Restart both the PS3 and the Router.
- View videos on PS3. Navigate to the "Media" folder on a PS3 and select "Video". The files available for streaming to a PS3 will be listed. Click the file you wish to stream and it will begin to stream. This is the process of streaming movies to a PS3.
- You can stream video to a PS3 without a computer using services such as Hulu or YouTube with PS3 Internet Browser.
- A PS3 is capable of viewing all major video types. Streaming video is transcoded and file type is not important.