If you’re wondering how to stretch pants, it might be in your best interest to consider going back to the gym. On the other hand, some pants shrink a bit when washed. To avoid shrinking pants, wash them with cold water, not hot or warm, and do not dry them in the dryer. Instead, shake them out and sooth out wrinkles with your hands so the pants lay flat, then hang up to dry.
To Stretch Pants, You Will Need:
- Cold Water
- Laundry Detergent
- Sodium Borate or Baking Soda
- A Non-Wooded Chair
- Wash the pants, inside out with the zipper zipped up, and use cold water only. Use laundry detergent as normally you would, avoid bleach, and it may help to add a laundry booster such as sodium borate or baking soda.
- When the washer is done, pull the pants out and turn them right-side-out. Shake them several times to get the shape about right, and use your hands to smooth out wrinkles in the fabric so the pants will lay flat with the seams properly aligned.
- Tug and pull in two directions across the pants with both hands, while they are still wet from the wash. Begin at the ankles tugging outward by holding the two sides of the pant leg with both hands. Move up the leg a little at a time, tugging a bit with both hands. At the top of the inseam, switch to the other leg and do the same. Then grab the pants with both hands on the outer seam, below the hip at the top of the outer-thigh region. Tug and pull a bit, then move up and repeat until you reach the waist.
- Put the wet pants on, while still wet, for the best stretching.I t will take effort to put them on while wet, but once on, zip and button them. Do several deep-knee-bend squats to stretch then pants in the right areas. Twist around a bit and lift your knee to the front and to the side to pull and stretch the pants.
- Once they have stretched as much as you can possibly stretch them, take them off, turn them right-side-out again, and shake them out. Then fix them so they lay flat and are smooth.
- Hang over the back of a non-wooden chair to dry completely. Do not put them in the dryer.