Learning how to surf fish in Florida requires you to have the right supplies and, generally, some patience. You will also need a license, and permission to fish the waters you will be trying. The following tips will give you some insight into surf fishing in Florida.
To surf fish in Florida, you will need:
- A Florida fishing license
- Surf rod and reel, with a ten- to twenty-pound test line
- Bottom rigs with one- to three-ounce weights
- Bait (mullet, squid or shrimp)
- First, you must prepare to surf fish in Florida. Purchase all of the necessary tackle, and buy a fishing license.
- Next, go to the beach where you will be fishing. Bring all of your supplies with you, and find a nice, open stretch of beach from which you will surf fish.
- Attach your bottom rig to the rod and set up for certain gamefish. If targeting pompano, use shrimp, and for croaker, drum, sea trout or tarpon, cut fish or whole fish, or cut squid, is best.
- Select an appropriate weight for the bottom rig. If you are fishing close in, and the water is calm, a one-ounce weight will suffice. But if the water is rough, or you will be casting further out, heavier weights, such as three-ounce triangle weights, are best.
- Cast out, and hold the rod and keep the line taught. If you feel at tug, wait a second and then set the hook. If you do not feel any fish take the bait, be patient and keep at it. Reel the rig in from time to time to check to see if the bait has been eaten off by any fish.
- If a long time goes by and you have no bites, change the type of bait you are using, or switch locations. Often, fish will group together in certain areas, and part of the fun of surf fishing is hunting them down!
Learning how to surf fish in Florida is a fun process that is often rewarding, but it requires patience. Once you head out, be prepared to remain on the beach for at least several hours.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.