Learning how to surf fish in Texas requires you to have the right tackle and equipment for the types fish that you may be going after. You will also have to bring a nice selection of baits, with various weights. Following is how to surf fish in Texas.
Tackle and Requirements:
- A fishing license for Texas
- A surf rod
- A bottom rig
- Weights, from one to four ounces
- Bait (squid, shrimp, mullet)
- Before you head to the Texas Gulf coast, buy all of the tackle you may need, and make sure your license is up to date. All of this is available at any coastal outdoor supply store. Then, go to the beach and find a nice spot from which to surf fish.
- Tie a bottom rig onto the line and select your bait. For pompano and puppy drum, shrimp are best, but for big drum or big sea trout, go with cut or even whole mullet.
- Select a weight relative to the type of surf fishing you will be doing. For close-in surf fishing on calm days, light weights are fine, but if casting far out, you should attach heavier bottom weights.
- Once your rigs are set up with bait and weight, cast out and wait. It can take a while for fish to bite on the Gulf of Mexico, especially if targeting larger fish like bull drum. Every once in a while, check the rig to make sure that the bait is still on. If a long time (an hour or two) go by without your receiving any bites, try switching bait or switching locations.
Learning how to surf fish in Texas can take some time, as there are several species of top gamefish that may require different baits or tactics to catch. Keep at it, and you should find a nice, easy way to catch the fish that you are after.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?