How To Survive College
If you are going to be a college student, you should definitely learn how to survive college. Depending on your college schedule, which includes classes and other activities that you will be involved with, your college life can vary greatly from others. Some students might have a very easy time when attending college. However, others find it very difficult to handle their college life. Under this circumstance, the following instructions will show you how to survive college.
To survive college, you will need:
- A degree to pursue
- Classes to take each semester
- Activities to be involved in
- A schedule for all your classes and activities
- A pen and paper
- Figure out what you want. The first step to surviving college is to know exactly what you want to go for. Having your college plan is very important because it will take you in the right direction. Now, grab a pen and paper. Make a list of the things that you are looking for, such as the degree that you want to pursue, the classes that you will be taking each semester and, lastly, the activities you will be involved in. Note that these activities can be any after-school interest groups, your part-time job if you need one or any other commitments. The clearer you are on the things you really want, the easier it will be for you to pursue them in the long run!
- Plan your schedule. After understanding what you truly want, handling your time wisely is the key for success in surviving college. Take the paper which has the list of things that you are pursuing in college. At this point, make another list by writing down the number of classes and semester units you will be taking. Make very sure that your college schedule will not be in conflict with any other activities. If you are getting a tight schedule, you need to be aware. For example, your classes may be over by 2 p.m., but your part-time work starts at 2:30 p.m. If the commute time from your college to work is about twenty minutes, it seems like you will have enough time to make it; however, it might not always be the case if there is an accident on the road or if you have to stay late in class.
- Adapt to your schedule. You can survive college smoothly by fitting into your schedule. This last step can be very difficult at the beginning of your college life. As time goes by, you will get used to it gradually. You will have to live with a different schedule if special circumstances occur. For example, if you get laid-off from your part-time job, which paid you great money. At this point, you have no choice but to find a new part-time job as a substitution. You absolutely need the money to pay your bills. The bottom line is that if you truly want to pursue your degree, you will make this modified schedule work regardless of how tough the situation is going to be.
You can survive college by following these three steps. Your determination will lead you to success!