How To Survive Grad School
You got in, now you just need to figure out how to survive grad school. Have no fear, you can make it through successfully. The difference in undergraduate and grad school is that most of our parents forced us to go to undergraduate school while graduate school is a decision that you have made for yourself and it is up to you to do everything to make sure you can survive grad school. So, let's get down to business so you can get through without a hitch.
- Start slow. Don't try to take on too many classes right away. Maybe take two classes at the most, get your feet wet, get your groove going, and then go from there. Solely based on what makes you comfortable. This is a good way to survive grad school because you are not overwhelming yourself right away.
- Be organized. There are so many different ways to be organized that can help you survive grad school. Buy notebooks and different colored inserts to separate your classes or have a notebook for each class you take.
- Bring a recorder. Clear this with your professor first, if you get the okay, record your lectures and take notes. After class, review and fill in any blanks that you have in your notes. You already have an advantage because you are reviewing the material right after class. This is definitely a good way to survive grad school. Studying is the most important thing you can do.
- Download your notes. If you do not want to use a recorder, see if you can download the notes from blackboard or if your professor will let you copy any sort of notes he or she has. The additional notes combined with your notes, will help you to survive grad school. Study, study, study.
- Get a study buddy or buddies. Do not be afraid to start a study group with a few of your classmates. There are probably some other students that have thought about it, but are not really sure where to start. Take the initiative and start the group; studying with other students can be a tremendous help.
- Get help early. After you take the first test and did not do as well as you thought, set up a meeting to speak with your professor right away. Do not wait for the problem to get better as time goes on. That is the wrong attitude and by the time you decide to get help, it could be too late. Your professors are there to help you and are waiting for their students to come to them.
All of these steps along with some of the other techniques you will add along the way should help you be successful in your graduate school career.