How To Swap A PS3 Hard Drive
Learning how to swap out a PS3 hard drive can be done quickly and without much effort. There are many reasons to swap out the PS3 hard drive, such as for more disk space for pictures, games or movies. Make sure that the new hard drive is 2.5 inch SATA or PS3 compatible. Replacing the PS3 hard drive will void the warranty so take your time and follow each step carefully.
Items needed to swap the PS3 hard drive.
- Replacement 2.5 inch SATA hard drive
- Turning off the power to the PS3 is the first step to swapping out a PS3 hard drive. Unplug all power cords and flip the main power switch off on the back of the PS3.
- Detach the hard drive cover. The hard drive bay cover can be found on the lower left side of the PS3.
- Inside the hard drive bay there will be a blue screw that will need to be loosened with a screwdriver. Once this blue screw is removed the PS3 hard drive will slide out easily.
- In this step to swap PS3 hard drive you will remove the hard drive from the metal frame. Remove four screws that attach the hard drive to the metal frame. Replace the old hard drive with the new one.
- Attached the new hard drive to the metal frame and replace all four screws tightly.
- Place the new hard drive and metal frame back into the PS3. Replace the blue screw back into the hard drive bay tightly to fasten the hard drive.
- In this step to swap a PS3 hard drive you need to reattach the hard drive bay cover.
- Power on your PS3 and you will come to a set page to reinstall software for your new hard drive.