How To Take Apart Xbox 360
Want to learn how to take apart your Xbox 360? Taking apart your Xbox 360 is not as hard as it may sound, as long as you have the right tools and a little bit of know how. Before we begin, however, one word of caution you should take very seriously: Taking apart your Xbox 360 and any visible signs of case tampering will void your warrantee. Always be sure that you do not have any protection left on your machine before attempting a DIY repair on the machine. If you are unsure about your status call 1-800-4MY-XBOX before you take apart your Xbox 360.
You will need:
- A small flathead screwdriver
- A small Phillips head screwdriver
- A torx-style star head screwdriver size T10
- Disconnect the power from the system. Unplug the device from everything, including any outlets, TVs, projectors or switch boxes it may be attached to. Then hold the power button for two seconds. This will help to discharge energy in the system. If you have a grounding strap, it would be wise to attach it now.
- Remove the hard drive, the wireless unit (if you have an older Xbox 360) and any other memory you have inserted in the Xbox360. These elements should all be removable from the outside of the case. If you have trouble removing the hard drive, consult your owner's manual.
- Remove the faceplate of your Xbox 360 by gripping the left front side of the console and pulling carefully until it pops off. Do the same thing on the right side.
- Remove the gray mesh panels. You can do this by inserting your flat screwdriver in the release slots on those panels. Only light pressure is needed here since you do not want to break the clips.
- Pop up the top of the case. You will do this by inserting your screwdriver under the top and pushing it like a lever. You should do this on each side of the Xbox 360 and in its center—you will hear a pop when you are successful. There are four tabs on each side. Once you have popped them all, the case should slide off.
- Take off the screws. Use your torx-style star head screwdriver size T10 and be sure to put all of these screws in a safe place since you will need them to reassemble your Xbox 360 after taking it apart. The top should now lift off.