How To Take Care Of Dogs
A dog will love and stand by you for its lifetime, so if you’re going to have one, you must know how to take care of dogs. You probably won’t have a more loyal companion than a dog. Here are the basics of how to take care of any canine pal. Keep in mind, though, that every dog breed needs care that is a little different so make sure to research your breed of dog for specific information on the needs of your particular pet.
- Give your dog healthful food. Research the nutritional needs of your particular breed, to know the best dog food to feed it. Feed your dog the right types and amounts of food for its age. Buy special puppy food, then adult dog food, and finally, food for older dogs. Be sure to include crunchy dog biscuits in your pet’s diet for healthy teeth and gums.
- Take care of dogs by making fresh water available at all times. Dogs can die if they don’t get enough water, especially in hot weather so always make sure there is accessible water for your canine. Change the water often, and clean dog bowls to ensure your dog has clean drinking water.
- Provide exercise for your pooch. Walking your dog every day bonds you and your dog and gets you out and moving for good health. Play fetch to give your pup lots of running time. Research how much exercise your breed of dog needs. If your dog is super active, teach it to catch a Frisbee.
- Groom your dog. Brush it every day when it’s a puppy so it gets used to being brushed. Then, brush it once a week if it has a short coat, and several times a week if it has a long coat. Brush more often when it is shedding. If your dog breed has a very long coat, you may want to have it trimmed regularly at a groomer. Give your dog a bath as often as recommended by your vet. Clip your dog’s nails once a month.
- Keep your dog healthy. Get it checked at the veterinarian as a puppy, and annually as needed after that. Take care of dogs by getting all of their vaccinations and staying current with their shots. Spay or neuter your dog if you don’t want to breed it.
- Train your canine pet. Enroll your dog in obedience school to make being around it pleasant for yourself and others. Teach your dog to heel, to sit, and to stay as a minimum. Go to obedience school with your pup, so you know how to train it well. Be consistent with the training.