Many gamers find little information on how to take a PS3 apart to clean the fans, and may feel frustrated that the PS3 manual provides so little support for thoroughly cleaning your PS3 fans. Taking the PS3 apart properly ensures you won't damage it in the process and also gives you the chance to clean the PS3 fans. Cleaning the fans prevents the console from overheating and keeps your games performing flawlessly.
Items You'll Need:
- Flathead screwdriver
- Torx screwdriver
- Plastic bag
- Soft cloth
- Locate the small rubber screw cover on the right side of the PS3, when facing it from the back, and pop it off with a flathead screwdriver. Remove the screw underneath with the flathead screwdriver or a Torx screwdriver.
- Slide the PS3 cover to the right. This reveals seven more screws. Remove these and place all small parts into a plastic bag to prevent losing any while you're cleaning the PS3 fans.
- Gently lift off the cover of the PS3. If it catches and will not come off, check for any screws or a hinge which may be holding it in place. Unscrew the screws or pop the hinge loose and try again.
- Remove the screws holding the large silver power supply box in place. Lift out the power supply box. Keep the screws in different bags if you're worried you'll forget which screws go where.
- Disconnect and remove the Blue-Ray drive. Make sure to disconnect the connecting ribbon before pulling it out.
- Unscrew and unclip the motherboard and lift it out. The motherboard takes up the majority of the PS3. After lifting it out, you can access the fans below it.
- Clean the fans as desired and replace the motherboard. Replace the parts in the opposite order you removed them. Make sure to replace all the screws and reclip the pieces to prevent any malfunctions.
This should fix any problems with dirt or debris that has built up inside the PS3. Taking the PS3 apart to clean the fans takes some effort. To prevent needing to do it again any time soon, keep the PS3 in a well-ventilated area, such as on a shelf with no back so air can circulate, and wipe the back down with a soft cloth every few weeks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.