How To Take Skateboard Bearings Apart
Are your skateboard wheels are having trouble rotating correctly and you want to know how to take skateboard bearings apart? Skateboard bearings are what enable the wheels to rotate easily and freely. A number of things can cause the bearings to get bad. Too much dirt getting inside or around the bearings or not enough grease in the bearings are some causes of why you may need to take the skateboard bearings apart. It is not difficult to take the bearings apart to clean them add a little bit more grease to them so they can rotate properly again.
To take skateboard bearings apart, you will need:
- small flathead screwdriver
- Remove the bearings. The bearings are located on each side of the wheels. To remove the bearings use the end or the edge of the axle to pry against the bearing by pushing downwards until the bearing pops off of the wheel. Repeat this for the other wheels until all the skateboard bearings are off.
- Lay the bearings down. To take the skateboard bearings apart you need to remove the shield from the bearing. Insert a small flathead screwdriver between the top or outer casing of the bearing and the sides of the bearing.
- Pry the shield away from the bearing. Gently press down on the screwdriver until you pry the shield away from the bearing. Be careful not to damage the bearing or the bearing shield.
- Release the bearing balls from their cartridge. Turn the bearing over and the balls will fall out. You have now taken your skateboard bearings apart and are able to clean and grease the bearings.