Learning how to talk with confidence on a date can mean the difference between a lot of long, awkward silences and an evening of fun conversation. Luckily, learning to talk with confidence—whether you are on a date or not—isn’t some big mystery. In fact, anyone can do it. Here are a few simple tips that will help you talk with confidence when you are on a date.
- Don’t talk too fast. Some people talk really fast when they are nervous. It’s like they want to get all of the words out while they still have the nerve to say them. But it’s hard to have a relaxing conversation when you are talking a mile a minute, and your date may find it hard to understand what you’re saying. So, if you are a fast talker, try to slow it down a bit.
- Build your vocabulary. Building your vocabulary isn’t just good for standardized tests. It can also make you sound more intelligent and educated when you speak. Knowing that you sound intelligent when you speak makes you feel more confident about saying what you want to say.
- Don’t mumble. Mumbling is the next best thing to sticking a sign on your head that says, “I lack confidence and self-esteem.” It makes it seem like you are afraid of what people will think of what you have to say, so you are trying to make it really hard for them to understand you. So, when you find yourself mumbling, make a conscious effort to speak more clearly and distinctly.
- Get rid of the “ums” and “uhs.” If you want to talk with confidence, you can’t sprinkle your conversation with “ums” and “uhs.” Why? Because they can make you sound nervous and unsure of yourself. In most cases, letting silence fall while you pause to gather your thoughts makes a better impression.
- Maintain eye contact. When you’re talking to people, try to maintain eye contact. This makes you seem like someone with a lot of confidence, rather than like an insecure person who is afraid to look others in the eye. It also makes your date feel like you are really interested in her and what she has to say.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.