You will need to learn how to tame a hamster if you want to get any enjoyment out of owning one. If they are not properly trained, these pets will become nothing more than smelly, fearful rodents in a cage. The good news is that it does not take a lot of special effort to tame a hamster. It really just requires the same love and attention you would give any type of pet.
Things you'll need:
- Hamster food
- Hamster cage
- Treats (apples, peanuts, etc.)
- Toys (Hamster wheel, ball, tubing)
- Bedding (wood shavings)
- The younger your hamster is when you purchase it, the better. Hamsters that are too old will become fearful and mean; this makes them extremely hard to tame. For the best results, try to bring home a hamster that is less than two months old.
- You hamster will need some time to adjust to you. Instinctively, your hamster will be afraid. This will cause it to cower in your presence and it may even attempt to bite you. This is where the gloves may come in handy. To overcome the fear, spend the first week letting your hamster get to know you. Throughout the course of each day, go up to its cage, introduce yourself and offer it treats.
- Begin handling your hamster multiple times a day. Once your hamster begins to warm up to you, begin taking it of its cage two or three times a day. Hold it in your hands and pet it. You can even let it run around on the ground near you.
- When you tame a hamster, the key is for it to get used to you. Take advantage of every opportunity to do so. Pet it while it eats out of its food dish. Put it on your lap and let it scurry around. Buy hamster toys, such as a hamster ball and wheel, and play games with it.
- Do not neglect handling your hamster. If you really want to tame a hamster, you will need to make sure you pay attention to it on a regular basis. Hamsters are creatures of habit. If they get used to being by themselves and staying in their cages, they will become virtually impossible to handle and tame. To ensure this does not happen, try to handle your hamster on a regular basis
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …