How to Tape Football Cleats
Taping football cleats and how you do it will depend on your end goal. There are a few ways to tape football cleats and we will take look at the most popular methods. Taping football cleats are used for added padding and stability of the foot and ankle. Some players use tape to add a little flair or to write a small message on the tape. Learning how to tape football cleats can be fun but it also can be a benefit to the player. See below for the how to of taping football cleats.
How to tape football cleats:
What you need for the job:
- Sports tape (color is your choice)
- Football cleats
How to tape football cleats—added protection: toes
- To help add a little reinforcement and padding, tape over the toes of the football cleat. Do this by cutting off even strips of tape. Four strips should be enough to complete this process.
- Place the first piece of tape over the front of the football cleat. Place the second, third and forth piece of tape overlapping one-half of the last piece of tape placed.
- Run your thumb over the tape. Do this to make certain the tape is in place and matted. Use steady even motions keeping in the same direction.
- Repeat these steps for the other football cleat. Once done then you have successfully added some additional reinforcement and padding to a football cleat. This small process will do wonders for stabilizing the toe and to add cushioned if stepped on.
How to tape football cleats—added support: ankles
- Starting at the instep, place the end of the roll of tape under foot. Wrap the tape up over the foot covering the laces as you do. With each pass move closer to the first line of cleats at the heel.
- Once you reach the cleat at the heel of the football cleat, wrap the next line of tape up over the top portion of the cleat. Wrap once around the back of the ankle and then back down the other side of the cleat to the instep. Cut the tape under foot and use your hands to mat the tape down firmly.
- Bring the roll of tape back up to the top of the cleat. Place the end of the tape against the strip at the top of the cleat. Work the tape around the top of the cleat moving slowly up the ankle.
- Wrap the tape up and around the ankle (over the sock) several times. Be sure to work up the ankle to the base of the calf. You may need to use multiple rolls of tape to accomplish this.
- Once you are to the base of the calf, cut the tape. Using your hands, mat the tape down firmly, pushing in the direction of the tape. Repeat these steps for the other football cleat and ankle.
How to tape football cleats—flair and fun:
- Cut a strip of tape to cover the side or top of the cleat. Apply the tape, running your hand over it to ensure it is flush.
- With your cleat off, take a sharpie (color is your choice) and write your message. This can be inspirational or motivational for yourself. Have fun with this but please be respectful of the other players.