How to Tell Her You Have AIDS
You can learn how to tell your girlfriend or significant other that you have AIDS. It's not an easy subject to bring up, and you may be nervous due to the fear of rejection. But there are ways of telling her that may help to ease any fears and worries. Before you tell her about your diagnosis, be sure to recount why you are telling her. List all the reasons and make sure it is something you feel you need to do. But before you give your significant other the news, there are some steps you can follow to make sure the discussion goes as smooth as possible.
To tell her you have AIDS you will need:
- a comfortable setting
- a plan
- personal preparation
- Find a comfortable setting. Find a quiet place and a time where you will not be disturbed.
- Have your talk planned out. Make notes and rehearse.
- Practice before a mirror. Or with someone else who already knows the news, and get their feedback. Practicing ahead of time can help to insure you say what you want and without too many fumbles.
- Think how she will react. If you think it will be too hard to take, maybe writing in a letter that she can read with you there, would be easier.
- Predict how she will handle the news. If you think she may be upset and not handle the news well, prepare yourself for this. Be prepared for any reaction.
- Consider a letter. If you think she may handle the news better in a letter, write the news to her. Have her read it while you are in the room. Give her the opportunity to ask questions.
- Prepare yourself for any reaction. You may think that she will handle it with ease. Or you may expect that she does not handle the news well, but in the end, she is sympathetic and reacts with compassion. Whatever her response may be, try to be prepared as much as possible, and allow her to have her own feelings about the news..
- Tell her With a Counselor Present. Try telling her in a counselor's office, where you can have professional help available. Make the appointment ahead of time.
Telling your significant other can be a very difficult decision to make, but if you are planning on sexual encounters, and even if not, you should be honest about something as serious as AIDS. It is very unsafe to ignore the problem and not say anything. In the end, she may even be more upset because you weren't as honest.