Are you trying to figure out how to tell her you have an STD? No matter who you are or who you’re dating, this can be incredibly nerve-wracking. It is important to keep in mind that you do have an obligation to tell her, however, so that she is able to decide whether or not she wants to have sexual relations with you.
1. Be sure to tell her prior to having sexual relations. This means that you will want to tell her you have an STD prior to having either sexual intercourse or oral sex, as most sexually transmitted diseases can be contracted either way. Withholding this information when you have sex is not only morally wrong, but in some cases, it is also illegal.
2. Tell her early on about your STD, but not too early. Keep in mind that you don’t want to tell her you have an STD on your first date. That being said, you will also want to make sure that you tell her about your STD before things begin to get serious between the two of you.
3. Let her know which STD you have. Certain STDs can be treated or easily managed, whereas others may last a lifetime or may even be deadly. When you tell her you have an STD, it is important to keep in mind that the specific one that you have may be a maker or breaker for the relationship.
4. Relax when you tell her you have an STD. Keep in mind that she could have an STD of her own. According to the CDC, the Human Papilloma Virus or HPV affects about half of all sexually active people. Even if she doesn’t have an STD herself, she may know someone who does.
5. Respect her wishes. If she tells you that she wants to wait a longer time to have sexual relations with you or if she wants to breakup because you have an STD, it is important to consider her feelings. When you tell her you have an STD, put yourself in her shoes and think about how you would feel.
It can be very challenging to tell her you have an STD, but is important to keep in mind that it is the right thing to do. Whether you have an STD which can easily be treated or one which can be life threatening, such as HIV, any girl that you date in the future deserves to know. If she breaks up with you, just remember that there are many other women out there who have STDs as well.