How To Tell If A Diamond Is Real
Learning how to tell if a diamond is real will save you a lot of stress. You may be surprised to find out that some people have cubic zirconia or leaded crystals and pass them off as real diamonds. Owning a fake diamond can bring terrible consequences. An example, if you happen to sell the diamond and the buyer discovers that it is fake, you can get into trouble. If you want to tell if a diamond is real, the best thing to do is take it to a reputable jeweler. However, the jeweler may charge for a test. Here are some tips that will help you tell if a diamond is real or fake on your own.
- Breathe on the diamond. This is a simple test to see if the diamond is real. If you breathe on a diamond and it fogs up, it is a fake. If you breathe on most stones, it will accumulate moisture. Real diamonds are one of the few exceptions that don't.
- Look through the diamond. A good way to tell if a diamond is real is to hold it against a page in a book. If the letters are undistorted and clear, the stone is probably a fake. If the diamond is real you should not see figures clearly at all, if you hold it against a book.
- Look at the diamond's appearance. Beware of any pits or bubbles. Stones that are made out of glass are prone to collecting them, not real diamonds. Look even closer to see if there are any small specks of different material in the diamond. While not very flattering, if you see them, the diamond is real. When real diamonds are being developed they collect pieces of other minerals. This is a quite reliable way to check if the diamond is real.
- Take heed of the price. Top quality diamonds are almost never easy on your wallet, unless you find them at a flea market. Remember this when determining if the diamond is real. Diamonds are rare, it's not just a cliche. Simple economics dictates the rarer an item is the higher its price. The more expensive a diamond is, the more likely it is real.
- Look at how it is mounted to the piece of jewelry. If the back of the stone is enclosed by the piece of jewelry be suspicious. If there is silver material glued on the back of the stone, it is very unlikely that the diamond is real. The stone should be visible on the front and the back.