If you have had unprotected sex recently, you may be wondering how to test for gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that affects about 600,000 people in the United States each year, and can cause serious health risks if untreated. Since one in ten men and four out of five women with the disease show no symptoms, it is important to know how to test for gonorrhea. Even if you are not showing symptoms, if you have had unprotected sex since being tested for STDs it may benefit you to read on how to test for gonorrhea.
- Visit your doctor, a free medical clinic, or a Planned Parenthood facility. There is no home test for the disease, so you will need to visit a medical professional. Most private facilities, free public clinics, and all Planned Parenthood locations know how to test for gonorrhea.
- If symptoms are present, discharge will be tested. One of the major symptoms of gonorrhea in men is a pus-like discharge from the penis. Likewise, in women, a yellowish or yellow-green discharge may occur. The health care provider will test these discharges from the penis, vagina, or, some cases, the anus. This is one of the methods to test for gonorrhea.
- Urine tests may be conclusive. If there is no discharge, a urine test can be performed. This is another method to test for gonorrhea.
- Swabs can be taken. If neither of the aforementioned testing methods work, the health care provider will know how to test for gonorrhea using tissue from the penis, urethra, cervix, anus, or throat. Swabs or other instruments will be used to collect these cell samples.
- Get tested regularly and often. Ask your doctor how often you should be tested for STDs based on your sexual practices and number of partners. Once every six months or year is a good practice for most sexually active people.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.