While sitting at your cubicle, it may not look professional to be texting away on your cell phone, so learn how to text on Gmail instead. Offering the discrete cover of your computer screen, texting in Gmail shows up as a Gchat window. Gmail texting is limited to cell phone numbers in the United States only.
To text in Gmail, you will need:
- A Gmail account
- Internet access
- Your friend’s cell phone number
- Visit the Gmail homepage. Sign in with your email address and password.
- Click “Settings” in the upper right corner of your Gmail window. This will open all of your Gmail settings.
- Choose “Labs” from the menu. The labs section of your Gmail account allows you to enable or disable some of the newest features Google is offering on a trial basis.
- Scroll to see “Text Messaging (SMS) in Chat.” Click the radio button next to “enable” to allow this feature. Click “Save Changes.”
- Place your cursor in the text field in the Chat box on your main Gmail screen. Enter the cell phone number of the friend you wish to contact. Remember, only United States cell phone numbers will receive text messages from Google.
- Click “Send SMS.” Add a name for the phone number. Start chatting. Your recipient may be charged for each message you send. Ensure your friends have unlimited text messaging plans before bombarding them with texts from Google.
- Read your friend’s response in the respective Gchat window. A new window will appear for each separate cell phone number you text.
You can also enable the Lab, “SMS in Chat gadget,” which boasts easier text messaging capability. This Lab opens a window similar to the Gchat menu, but lists only the cell phone numbers of your contacts for faster reference.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.