How To Throw A Cutter
If you are into baseball, you may want to learn how to throw a cutter. A cutter is like a fastball with spin. Pitcher Mariano Rivera is an expert at this pitch and you may one day hope to be just like him.
- Another person to catch the baseball
- Know how to hold the ball properly. Take the baseball into your hand and start as you would by holding the fastball for a pitch.
- The basics of how to throw a cutter lay in the position of your fingers on the ball. The grip is just a bit different from that of a fastball, a little more inside than you would place your fingers normally. Move your thumb inside of the seam a bit more than you would normally hold the ball for a fastball while your index and middle finger will go more to the outside of the seam.
- As you get ready to throw the ball, snap your wrist, but do not do this too much. One of the best ways to learn how to throw a cutter is to think of throwing a fastball the whole time you are preparing. Just as you are getting ready to release the ball, snap your wrist in the direction you are hoping for it to cut.
With a cutter you will have a fantastic pitch that is in between a fastball and slider in your pitching skills. Though it will take a lot of work, you will not be as good as Rivera until you've done a lot of pitching. Get the gloves out and get ready to toss the ball for a bit. Just don't overwork yourself because you are learning this new pitch!
- Concentrate on the thought of throwing a fastball, but add that spin right before the release. Timing will mean you have a better cutter than others.