There is nothing funkier than knowing how to tie dye socks. We see plenty of T-shirts that have been tie dyed, but when is the last time you saw a cool pair of socks? Learning how to tie dye socks is actually a fairly easy process that does not require a lot of effort or time.
To tie dye socks, you will need:
- Clothing Dye
- Rubber Bands
- Rubber Gloves
- Prepare the socks. Make sure your socks have already been washed and dried prior to the tie dying process.
- Prepare the dye. You can obtain clothing dye from any major retail store; the dye is usually in the laundry detergent aisle. Follow the manufactures directions on how to prepare the dye. You will want to add two teaspoons of vinegar to the dye mixture ones you have mixed it. The vinegar helps set the dye onto the fabrics more evenly.
- Designing the socks. Use the rubber bands to wrap around the socks. You can twist the socks up and add the rubber bands to give unique designs. There is no one single way to apply the rubber bands or to twist the socks up. Your creativity here will be the outcome of your socks. Make sure the rubber bands are as tight as you can get them, you are trying to prevent the dye from getting under them.
- Applying the dye. At this point you will want to put on your rubber gloves. You will want to dip your socks into the dye according to the directions on the container of dye.
- Additional tie dye coloring. At this point if you are looking to use more than one color you will simply undo the rubber bands on your socks, untwist and redo step number three again. If you choose to use more than one color, always start with the lightest color first.
- Setting and drying your socks. Once you have finished with dying you will want to remove the rubber bands, untwist your socks and rinse in cold water to help set the colors into your socks.
- Drying your totally cool tie dyed socks. Simply hang your item to dry. Once your socks dry you will want to make sure you follow the manufactures directions on the dye to prevent the dye from running.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.