How To Tie A Rolling Hitch
Learning how to tie a rolling hitch knot is a simple but useful process. This type of knot is used in a variety of ways to secure things such as tent stakes. The knot is made so that it can slide up and down another rope without losing any strength.
To create this know you will need:
- Two lengths of 12" rope
- One person to tie the rope
- Something to tie one of the ropes to, such as a chair
- Prepare the first rope. Tie both ends of the one of the rope so that the rope is taut. Tying it to the legs of a chair is a great way to practice this knot.
- Wrap the second rope around the first. This second rope is the one you will be making the rolling hitch with. Wrap the second rope around the first one completely twice.
- Cross over. Take the end of the rope that is making the rolling hitch and bring it across itself as it is looped around the first rope. The end of the rope should now be at the opposite site of where it was when it was originally wrapped around the first rope.
- Wrap again. Wrap the end of the rolling hitch rope around the other rope, only do it at the opposite end that you did before. As you do this, bring the end of rope under the loop that you have just created.
- Check the rolling hitch. Pulled the end of the rope so that the rolling hitch is secure. Check to see if it works by sliding it back and forth on the first rope. It should slide freely. You have just learned how to tie a rolling hitch!