Do you know how to tie a square knot? A square knot is one of the most common and versatile knots. Square knots are used for binding in everything from sailing to surgery. Once you learn how to tie a square knot, you’ll use it for lots of things. If you don’t follow the instructions carefully, you may end up with a granny knot instead. A granny knot will slip easily while a square knot is much more secure.
To tie a square not, you will need:
- 2 pieces of rope, string, or twine
- Lay down the first piece of rope. Use different color rope the first few times you try to tie a square knot. This technique will help you keep track of the first and second rope.
- Wind the second piece of rope around the first. From the right side, go over the first piece, then under, then over again. Stretch the right end of the first rope up and the left end down. Stretch the right end of the second rope down and the left end up.
- Overlap the ends. Place the top end of the second rope that is on the left over the top end of the first rope that is on the right.
- Overlap again. Pull the top end of the second rope that is now on the right back under the top end of the first rope that is now on the left.
- Pull tight to finish the knot. You now have joined two pieces of rope with a square knot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream