How To Toilet Train A Cat
How to toilet train a cat is a great money saver. A cat using the toilet saves on litter and a litter box. Teaching a cat to use a toilet will take less time than you think. A cat using a toilet is not that uncommon. Cats are smart animals and usually catch on quick. Teaching one to use a toilet takes a little time and the right items. This article will look at what you need to do to teach your cat to use the toilet. Look at the steps below and try it out yourself.
What you will need for this:
- Cat liner bag
- Cat litter
Tip: if you have a spare toilet, use it for your cat’s business. This will keep you from having to set up and reset up each time.
To toilet train your cat:
- Lift both toilet seats up. Lay a cat litterbag over the opening and lower the bottom seat creating a cat box toilet. Leave the cover up at all times. Spread cat litter over the bag, not a lot, but just enough for coverage.
- Show the cat where the cat box toilet is as you normally would. Let the cat down and go about its business. A little later take the cat back to the bathroom and show him the cat box toilet again.
- Eventually, the cat should go to the toilet to use the bathroom. It will stand on the edge because the plastic will not hold its weight. The cat will figure this out as it paws at the litter.
- When the cat uses the cat box toilet, praise the cat and if it likes treats, give it one. Clean the mess and leave the set up as is. Check periodically until the litter is ready to be replaced. This time, add no litter. The cat will continue to use the bag.
- After about a week, you can remove the plastic. If you want to feel safe, add very little litter to the toilet water. Do not flush the toilet after the first use. Once the cat is regularly going on the toilet you can leave out the litter and flush frequently.