How To Track IRS Refund
Need to know how to track an IRS refund? If you filed your income tax return but did not receive your refund, you can track your IRS refund online. Refund information is usually available after 72 hours if you filed your return electronically. If you mailed a paper return, expect a three to four week waiting period. To track your IRS refund:
- Visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website at www.irs.gov. This is the official website for the government agency.
Select the link for "Where’s My Refund?" This is an online tool located on the right-hand sidebar of the IRS website.
- Enter your nine-digit Social Security number on the Refund Status form that appears when you select the "Where’s My Refund?" link. This is your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number shown in the upper right-hand corner of your tax return.
- Enter your filing status, as shown on your tax return. Select from a list that includes: single, married filing joint return, married filing separate return, head of household, or qualifying widow(er).
Enter the refund amount that you expect to receive. Enter the exact whole dollar amount that is shown on your tax return. If you filed form 1040, this amount appears on line 73a. If you filed form 1040A, this amount appears on line 46a. If you filed form 1040EZ, this amount appears on line 12a.
- When you have entered all of the requested data on the Refund Status form, select the Submit button for your Refund Status Results.
- The Refund Status Results report shows the status of your refund. It provides additional information if there is a delay in processing your tax return.
If you have questions about your tax refund or need more information, contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-0582. Enter 362 when asked for an extension. Be sure to have the following items on hand when you call: a copy of your Refund Status Results; a copy of your tax return; your Social Security number, filing status and refund amount; and any notice you received from the IRS regarding your refund. The IRS hours of service are Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.