How To Track A Stolen Cell Phone
As a cell phone owner, you should know how to track a stolen cell phone in the event you are a victim of theft. Cell phones are potentially valuable. The newest technological advances on cell phones make them more than just communication devices. Cell phones come equipped with so many features that sticky fingered pilferers often find an opportunity to lift an unattended phone too tempting to resist.
To track a stolen cell phone you will need:
- Your cell service’s contact information
- Cell phone description
- GPS enabled cell phone
- Police report
- Contact your cell phone service right away to report your stolen cell phone. The cell phone company can begin steps to log calls made after your phone was taken.
- Call the police. In some cases, you will need the police report number in order to make an insurance claim. The police should also have a record and description of your stolen cell phone in case the property is ever recovered.
- If you have previously installed cell phone tracking software on your mobile phone, contact the company and report the stolen cell phone. Check in on the company’s website and utilize whatever tools they have available to help you find your stolen cell phone. GPS tracking maps should give you a very precise location to the phone.
- Notify police when you have located the phone from a GPS tracking map. Even if you have taken proactive steps to track your stolen cell phone, you should not try to recover the phone alone. You might get lucky and find your phone discarded. If the phone is still attached to the thief who took it in the first place, you would be wise not to try to confront the perpetrator on your own.
Look into cell phone tracking software when you get a new cell phone. If your phone is ever taken from you, you will be glad you took the extra step. Otherwise, protect your phone from theft by keeping it on you at all times. Do not leave it visible in your vehicle. Thieves often target cars and trucks for the purpose of finding expensive electronics to sell.