You can learn how to train a boxer dog fairly easily. Boxers are traditionally very trainable due to their eagerness to please their owners. They are also very motivated by food and can be trained to do just about anything. This breed is not the most intelligent, and you might need to be extra patient. Boxers can be a little slow at grasping even basic concepts. Their bouncy natures can make them handfuls. This breed is usually not aggressive to humans, but can be aggressive to other dogs. Usually, they are pretty well behaved. The easiest way to go about training a boxer is to establish some basic guidelines. Every dog needs to have boundaries and boxers are no different. The best thing you can do is to establish yourself as a dominant figure. This is not hard at all, but some owners just don’t seem to get it.
In order to train your boxer dog, you will need:
- A choke chain
- A six foot lead
- Common sense
Training your boxer can be accomplished by following these steps:
- First, you must set boundaries. Even if you have had your dog for a while, it is never too late to establish boundaries.
- Do not allow your dog to be on the furniture. Dogs should have their own beds that remain on the floor. Allowing Boxers on the furniture makes them think that they are your equals.
- Feed at designated meal times. Free feeding your Boxer prevents you from asserting dominance. They need to associate their food with you being a provider. If not, this can lead to behavioral problems like food aggression.
- Walk your dog and demand that they are calm throughout the walk. This may take time in the beginning, but it can happen. Walks may take longer at first, because you will need to make sure they are calm before they even leave the house. Boxers are usually very excited by the sight of a leash, but with persistence, leaving the house can be more enjoyable.
- On the walk, do not allow your dog to pull you. Boxers are incredibly strong, and you will look pretty ridiculous getting dragged around. Keep correcting your Boxer until they walk alongside you. This is why you need a choke chain. Choke chains are not cruel and are a legitimate training tool. Make sure the choke chain is the proper size and is placed correctly at the very top of your Boxer’s throat. If you don’t, the corrections are unlikely to have any effect.
- Once, you have mastered taking your Boxer for walks and established boundaries, put your dog in a training class. These are great for socialization and advanced training.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.