For those who truly want huge arms, knowing how to train triceps is key. Though biceps get all the glory, it’s actually the triceps that account for most of your arm’s volume. The guys who go to the gym and just do curls may see gains, but with proper triceps training your arms can grow much, much bigger. See the following guide to learn how to get big triceps, and in effect big arms, in the most efficient way possible.
You'll need the following:
- A workout plan
- Weights, if you want to gain mass.
- Knowledge of bodyweight exercises for definition.
- No matter what exercise you’re doing, training triceps first involves stretching. Though you may be eager to get to work, taking the time to stretch will save you from potentially serious injury. Anything from a small tweak in your triceps to a full blown tear will cause a loss of valuable time and put a sizable dent in your training program. To stretch them, simply put your arm behind your head, grasp your elbow with the other hand, and pull towards the other side lightly. Done correctly, the elbow of the arm you’re stretching will be resting against the back of your head. Once the triceps stretch is over, it’s time to start the real training.
- Tricep Kickbacks. To train your triceps with this exercise, you will need dumbbells. The weight doesn’t have to be big, as this move is pretty intense. Start by grasping the weights and going into a semi-lunge. Lean your chest toward your knees, and bring the weights into a row position. Then, keeping your elbows high and stable, swing the weights back and toward the ceiling. Hold for a second, and bring them back into the row position.
- Skullcrushers. Again, this triceps destroying exercise requires dumbbells without a ton of weight. To do them, lie on your back, and bring the weights above your chest with your palms facing each other. Move the weights back so they come close to your head (hence the name “skullcrushers”) and push them back up, keeping your elbows steadily at your side. Do not overdo it on this triceps exercise, as weights that are too heavy will likely lead to head injury.
- Diamond Push Ups. Though it’s only a bodyweight exercise, this type of triceps training is pretty difficult. Start by getting in normal push up position, and then move your hands together until the index fingers and thumbs touch (making a diamond). Do as many push ups with your hands in this position as you can. Don’t get discouraged if you can’t do many; even the biggest of bodybuilders know that diamond push ups are touch.
- Dips. The last key triceps training move, dips are solely a bodyweight exercise as well. Start by sitting on the edge of a chair and placing your palms on it, close to your hips. Scoot your butt off the chair, letting your heels touch the floor in front of you. Then, use your arms to lower and raise yourself. Do as many reps as you can. To make it more difficult, try raising one leg and alternating as you do them.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.