How To Transfer Itunes From One Computer To Another
Learn how to transfer iTunes from one computer to another with this simple guide. Some people will purchase a software program designed to simplify moving iTunes from an old computer to a new one, but this is not always necessary. While it is true that you can download iTunes to the new computer, log-in and attach your iPod to transfer your iTunes account to the new computer, this will require you to have your new and old computers networked and then you will need to go through every song, movie, picture or other data in iTunes and re-find the original locations to create a path so iTunes knows where the files are and can add or remove them from your Apple devices.
You will need:
- iTunes Account
- Computer to transfer to
- CD-R, DVD-R or other data storage, if using
How to Transfer iTunes from one Computer to Another
- On the old computer, open your My Music folder and locate the folder containing your iTunes files. Copy the iTunes folder, or copy the entire My Music folder; copy by right-clicking with the mouse and selecting COPY.
- Paste the folder to the “Writeable DVD” folder on your computer with a blank DVD-R in the DVD drive—or— Paste to a portable USB harddrive attached to the old computer. Once the files have burned to the DVD or saved to the harddrive, remove the portable data storage (DVD or harddrive) and go to the new computer.
- Attach the USB drive to the new computer and wait until it connects to the computer—or—put the DVD into the DVD drive of the new computer and give it a moment to recognize the data.
- Download iTunes to the new computer and log-in using your Apple ID or email address and iTunes Password. In iTunes, click on FILE in the top left of the window and select “Add Folder to Library” from the File menu.
- Select the folder where your iTunes data is located, either the folder on the DVD or the folder on the USB harddrive. Select the entire folder by clicking on it once, then click OKAY to begin transferring your music and other stored iTunes files to the iTunes on the new computer. For large music and media libraries, this may take a while.
- When files are transferred, remove the DVD or hard drive and your iTunes should be all set up for use with your portable Apple devices.