How To Travel Australia
Thinking about going on vacation down under but wondering how to travel Australia? A trip to Australia can be a big trip to plan. However, as long as you get your paperwork in order and know where you want to go and what you want to see, you'll find that traveling to Australia is easy.
- Get a passport. If you want to travel Australia you will need to have a passport. If you don't already have a passport then visit the U.S. Department of State's website for information on how to go about applying for a passport.
- Apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). You can do this by visiting the Australian Electronic Travel Authority website. ETAs allow U.S. visitors to travel to Australia for up to three months.
- Determine how long you plan to travel to Australia for. Australia covers an entire continent, and traveling around the country can be both costly and eat into your travel time. Knowing how long a time period you have to travel will help you decide how much of Australia you can cover in that time period.
- Decide where in Australia you want to travel. You will need at least three months to properly circumnavigate Australia. If you only have one to two months to travel, consider doing a tour which covers the highlights, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland and Perth. If you have less than a month in which to see Australia, consider spending your time on the east coast, where you can visit Sydney and travel along the Gold Coast to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Purchase your airline tickets. Australia's busy season is between November and February, which is summer in the southern hemisphere. For cheaper tickets, book your travel outside of these busy months when tickets are usually most expensive.
- Find a place to stay. You'll find a wide array of hotels, both budget and expensive, throughout Australia. If you are traveling by yourself, or are on a budget, consider staying at a hostel. Hostel accommodations are very common in Australia, and this can be a great way to save money and make friends on your travels.
- Getting around Australia. If you are limited on time, the best way to travel from city to city in Australia is to fly. Choose local budget airlines for these short flights. If you have a bit more time on your hands, consider taking a train as this is a great way to see the country. Most major cities like Sydney have excellent public transportation, so you shouldn't need to rent a car on your trip.
- Find things to see and do. What you end up doing on your trip will depend on your interests. If you like the beach, consider spending most of your time at Australia's gorgeous beaches, such as Surfer's Paradise on the Gold Coast, or famous Bondi Beach in Sydney. If you like the city you will want to base most of your time in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne. You'll find plenty to see and do in the city, such as shopping and visiting museums and theaters. For the night life, check out a publication like "Time Out Sydney." For inside knowledge on the best nightclubs and pubs to visit, talk to the locals!