How To Travel For Cheap
You can save money and have a great time travelling if you know how to travel for cheap. These tips can save you money without having to sacrifice any of the joys of traveling. Just be sure to cut back on the elements of travel that you care about least when you travel for cheap--for instance, if you are looking forward to having gelato in Italy, don't cut that out of the budget just to save a few dollars.
What you need to do to travel for cheap:
- Be willing to make minor revisions to your itinerary
- Look for discounts and reduced rate days
- Shop around for the best deal
- Consider different dates before choosing your vacation days, if possible. While your first inclination may be to leave on the weekend, you can save money by travelling during the week. Check airline and hotel websites for pricing to compare different possibilities and travel for cheap.
- Be flexible in terms of when you leave for the trip. If you are driving to your destination, you can avoid traffic and spend less money on gas by leaving before or after commute times. If you are flying, check the airline's website to see when the cheapest time to depart would be.
- Travel light. Because some airlines charge for checked bags, you can save money by simply bringing less stuff with you. Bring a lot of personal items if necessary, but only bring what you need if you can get by on less.
- Use all the discounts you can find. Not only can you find cheap hotels and flights, you can also travel for cheap by checking for online discounts you can use at restaurants or other places when you reach your destination. Also, memberships like AAA and AARP can get you discounts if you mention them at some places. Check online to see what discounts you can get before you go on vacation.
- If you are renting a car, think before you get car rental insurance. Know what your own car insurance covers and if it would cover a rental. You don't want to pay twice for the same thing, especially if you are trying to travel for cheap. However, if you are travelling out of country, your policy may not apply.