No businessman should even consider leaving his house on a business trip without first learning how to travel with an expensive suit. When you're pressed for time and need to jump off your flight and race to meet with a client, there's little time to unpack and certainly no time to iron out your suit. Knowing how to pack and travel with an expensive suit will ensure your suit is in perfect condition and ready to wear when you arrive. It'll also ensures no harm comes to your high-budget outfit while traveling.
Items you'll need:
- Plastic dry cleaning bag or protective garment bag
- Lint roller
- Place the expensive suit inside a plastic dry cleaning or protective garment bag. The plastic material will help add some cushion to your suit and prevent wrinkles when you fold it into your suitcase. Carefully fold the suit to fit in your suitcase in as few folds as possible and make sure to put it on top instead of on the bottom where other items can squish it. If you have room in your car and are driving for your trip, you can hang the suit from one of the handles in the back of the car and the bag will protect it from dust and dirt.
- Roll the pants of the suit if you only have room to hang the jacket. When placing items you don't want to iron later in a suitcase, roll them up instead of folding them. While they'll take up more room, rolling the item prevents any creases from forming while the items sit in your suitcase. This is a bit trickier with the jacket of an expensive suit and works best for undershirts and pants.
- Avoid overpacking your suitcase. Cramming several items into a single suitcase will, at best, cause wrinkles and, at worst, cause an accidental stain or scratch on your suit from a pair of shoes or other item in your suitcase. Take only what you must have and use more bags if necessary instead of cramming everything into one.
- Carry a lint roller just in case. Lint and other pieces of fuzz will magically appear on your expensive suit regardless of how carefully you pack it. Carry a small lint roller to brush them off before leaving for a meeting. Choose a lint roller with a fresh laundry scent to smell fresh and clean all day.
Wrinkles and stains aren't the only concerns you should have when you need to travel with an expensive suit. Theft or loss will cause even more harm than a few creases in your suit. The best protection is to carefully tag and label everything, keep an eye on your items as long as possible and collect your items as soon as you get off the plane. If you're driving, be sure to unpack when you reach the hotel instead of leaving your items to sit in the car for hours. These precautions will allow you to relax and enjoy your trip when traveling with an expensive suit.
Buying a sharp-looking suit online sounds crazy, right? And yet Indochino’s made-to-measure duds offer an unbeatable com ...
Online bespoke shop Indochino introduces a new lineup of hero-inspired suits featuring subtle-but-bold highlights and un ...
You hit the gym. You finished P90X. You ran your first marathon. For whatever reason, you dropped a few pounds in the wr ...