How To Travel With Pets
Knowing how to travel with pets will get you and your pet to your destination spot, both of you healthy and happy. Although it's preferable for dogs and cats to keep all four feet on the ground, it is possible to transport a pet in an airliner also. Be prepared though to pay an additional ticketing fee ranging from $70 to $150 (one way) for your pet to travel
To travel with pets, you will need:
- An acceptable carrier for your pet or, if being transported by car, a seatbelt to secure the animal inside the car.
- Travel water and food dishes
- A few favorite toys to entertain your dog or cat
- At least two leashes of varying lengths for short runs to stretch their legs in between travels
- Paperwork such as rabies certificates
- Any medications your pet may be taking
- Already drafted posters in case your pet gets lost.
- Select your mode of travel for you and your pet. It is vastly preferable to transport cats and dogs in a car instead of flying, especially if your pet is larger and must ride in the cargo section of the plane. A plane ride in the belly is loud, with fluctuating temperatures, and can be extremely dangerous to your pet.
- Select a pet carrier, such as a soft sided crate, in which to transport the pet. Larger dogs may be happier secured in the back of an SUV, inside a wire crate or seat belted to the back seat.
- Add a few toys to the area where your pet will be located. Put down a spill proof container of water and a bit of food when it's time for your pet to eat. Do not transport your dog or cat on a full stomach.
- Your pet will be happiest if you take short breaks every hour or so during your travel. Be careful when letting your pet out of the car, as he may be eager to run and may take off. That's where that already prepared lost poster comes in handy.
- Make sure to set up overnight stops in places where your pet will be welcome. NEVER expect your pet to spend the night in the car. If you won't sleep there, neither should your pet.
Tip: Preparation is the key to a successful travel with pets excursion. Try to anticipate problems you may face and work them out before they occur.