People have to take off work due to back pain more than any other medical condition, which is why it is important to learn how to treat back muscle spasms. Back muscle spasms are mainly caused by minor ligament damage resulting from the body being under continual stress from bending and twisting.
Here are some treatments to try:
- Use medications. In most cases, there is treatments for back muscle spasms. An over the counter nonsteroidal antinflammatory drug (NSAID) will reduce pain. In addition, you can use a heating pad or a hot water bottle on the affected area to provide relief. Sometimes ice packs can be used to provide additional help.
- Rest from daily activities. If the pain from back muscle spasms is severe, you should rest or relax on a bed. Make sure that you move frequently and gradually for a couple of days after resting.
- Call your physician in severe cases. If the pain is still severe, consult a doctor, since the back muscle spasms may be a sign of something serious, such as kidney infection (pyelonephritis), slipped disc or osteoarthritis.
- Prevent back spasms by avoiding triggers. If the back muscle spasms have subsided, you can prevent the recurrences by practicing proper posture and lifting heavy objects correctly. You may also do exercises to strengthen your back muscles. Yoga is a helpful solution for maintaining a flexible spine. Deep tissue massage can be beneficial as well.
Here are some types of exercises to try:
- Lower back stretch. A lower back stretch will relieve aching joints. Lie on your back and move to a fetal position. This is done by positioning your legs towards your chest and placing your arms around your knees. Hold this position for seven seconds and breathe in and out deeply.
- Hump and sag technique. The hump and sag technique increases the movements of your joints and muscles in your back. Kneel on all fours with your knees slightly apart. Tuck your chin into your chest, then arch your back. Hold this position for about five seconds.
- Pelvic tilt solution. Pelvic tilts are used to stretch your back's muscles and ligaments. Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Start to raise your pelvis upwards. Hold this position for six seconds before lowering your body again.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."